After years of being told that fat is bad for us there has been a welcome shift in focus in recent years towards “healthy fats” and the essential role they play in the body. Just a decade ago the advice was typically to choose low fat products. However many of these products can be high in sugars which as we now know have a major role to play in weight gain and obesity. The new guidelines (click here) differentiate between types of fat and advocate including a good range of healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in the diet. These fats are typically liquid fats which help lubricate the body, helping heart health and circulation. They can be found in oils (such as olive oil & plant oils), nuts and seeds, avocado and oily fish and include the omega 3 and omega 6 essential fatty acids.
This simple avocado guacamole combines avocado and the natural oils found in it, with extra virgin olive oil for a double dose of healthy fats. It can be used as a dip, spread or as an accompaniment to many meat and fish dishes and can be easily transformed with the addition of extra herbs and vegetables (see additional ingredients listed below).
Ingredients (Serves 4): 2 medium-sized ripe avocados, juice from 1 lemon, zest from 1 lemon, Extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper
Additional: Add 1 red chilli if you prefer a spicier version, 1 x finely chopped tomato, ¼ of a red/yellow pepper (finely chopped), fresh chopped coriander, fresh chopped mint
Extra virgin olive oil / sesame oil / chilli oil / lemon oil to flavour
Preparation: <10 minutes
- Zest the lemon into a mixing bowl and then add the juice.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and use a spoon to scoop the flesh from the skin and add to the mixing bowl.
- Use a fork to gently mash the avocado and mix well with the lemon to prevent discolouring.
- Add in a glug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper for a simple guacamole.
- If using additional ingredients, finely chop and stir in to the guacamole.
- Serve immediately.
Download a printable pdf here.
Visit the recipe section here for a range of other healthy dishes.